a brief excerpt

"If the Church's worship is faithful, it will eventually be subversive of the culture surrounding it, for God's truth transforms the lives of those nurtured by it"

- Marva Dawn

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Heading back home

Well tomorrow I get to go to Holland again. The last time I was their was in the morning of July 26th, 2005. I remember my mother and my good friend Bas driving me to the airport as we were having discussions about the role of the United States in world politics and wars. Tomorrow another good friend of mine will be driving me to the airport, this time Joy Johnson is driving me and I am flying from Buffalo, through Washington, to Amsterdam. I can't wait!

I have been at Redeemer for 3 semesters now, and it has been and still is probably one of the greatest blessings that I have witnessed in my life. However, the last semeseter was harder for me than my first two in first year. Besides overcommiting to certain activities, spriritually and emotionally this semester has been very draining. Finding the drive to do all my homework, keep close knit relations with all my friends, being there for Rachel and people in my dorm, and mainly devoting time to God. It has all proven kind of challenging this semester. But, I know God has big plans. Tomorrow I get to go back home, well I get to go back to one of my homes.

18 years of my life, home was Holland, more specifically Ede, my schools, and the church there. Last year my home got taken away, well I took it away. Going to Redeemer and Canada, gave me two new homes, Barrie where my mom and family is, and Redeemer itself. However, nowhere really felt or still feels like my home. But, tomorrow I have the feeling I am coming home, and that is not specifically Holland or Ede. It is taking a break from the earthly things that have kept me busy, returning to friends, enjoying the blessings in my life, and mostly God.

Yes, I am quite excited and ready to go "home".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Willem,

It's nice to notice that you still think of Holland as your home. Quite logical too. I hope to see you soon, because when you read this you will be in Holland! Prepare for a major attentionwave, Willem!

See you soon!

Arjen

liz said...

Willem,

I hope you have an awesome time in Holland. Looking forward to hearing all the stories when we're all back at Redeemer. Enjoy the time off. Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

hi willem,

I saw your mum at the church yesterdaymorning (we went to the early service) :)
don't know if I'll get the chance to see you as well, because I'm heading back to Belgium today and I'll probably only come back for New Years eve...
anyways, I truely hope you're having a great time out here and that you'll go back to Canada with a lot of new energy and new stories/memories,

Sanne

Anonymous said...

Zo Willem,
dat waren me de 2 weken wel!
Het was echt fijn, goed en gezellig om je weer te zien,
ik heb ervan genoten!

Kun je er niet voor zorgen dat Rachel ook een blog begint? We zijn zo benieuwd naar haar...

Liefs, Marlies

Anonymous said...

Hee Willem! :)

Wat leuk dat je weer een tijdje in Nederland was! Ik heb je ervoor niet al te veel gezien, maar vond het wel gaaf om je verhalen te horen en je te zien! :)

Succes daar met alles wat je doet!

Groetjes, Marieke

Anonymous said...

hee Willem!

even dat je het weet; we wachten al een tijdje op je update!

xx Marlies

Anonymous said...

willem schiet eens op met die update! Je broer