a brief excerpt

"If the Church's worship is faithful, it will eventually be subversive of the culture surrounding it, for God's truth transforms the lives of those nurtured by it"

- Marva Dawn

Friday, June 09, 2006

Oranje!!!!!!!!

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons.



So today the world cuphas finally begun, maybe I should have not moved to Canada, it is surely a lot easier to follow the World Cup in Holland. I am however, still very excited about the world cup. It is fun to be able to share previous world cp experiences, to share your opinion about certain players, countries, cultures. It is a celebration.

Here are some examples of "Dutch soccer pride".


This is the Dutch embassy in Berlin. The orange lights become a light show during Holland games, the fans projected on the left side will leave the stans when Holland is not playing, and will cheer when Holland won!


This is the replica 2nd World War German army helmet that has been fitted to suit Dutch fans.

There is a good change that many fountains in Germans cities will turn orange, like every world cup Holland takes over the cities that they play in.


Oranje = Orange = Dutch = National colour = Dutch Pride

If you buy coffee, you get free flip flops that print "HUP Holland" in the sand (Go Holland).

7 comments:

kyle and ade said...

I LOVE THOSE SANDALS!!!!

hup holland hup!

Anonymous said...

1-0 voor Holland...
...nog een oranje shirt aangetrokken vandaag?

liefs,

Sanne

Katrina VandenBerg said...

im with adrienne on that one... i might just have to go to holland to pick me up a pair.
im dressing in my orange! my family gets pretty intense about world cup soccer... its going to be a great couple of weeks!

de Ruijter said...

Yeah I had my orange (Dutch) T-shirt on underneath my nice shirt in church.

Anonymous said...

*lol* that's great:D

well, hope you still enjoy the summer...it's getting warm out here in Belgium (and in the Netherlands as well I suppose) so I'm finally getting into the real "holiday"mood....a pity I should be studying for my exams ;)

craig said...

wow. crazy. too bad they are going to lose to argentina this wednesday!

Robyn deGroot said...

Go Holland!!!! To bad I don't have the right channel on my tv, it's very sad.