a brief excerpt

"If the Church's worship is faithful, it will eventually be subversive of the culture surrounding it, for God's truth transforms the lives of those nurtured by it"

- Marva Dawn

Monday, September 25, 2006

Weekend

The end of last week was beautiful, it was a great weekend. It started on thursday evening, Starfield entered town. On their beauty in the broken tour the Hamilton stop was Redeemer University College, formeit was a completely new experience, because I got to help out a bit, selling merchandise, breaking down after the concert and of course the concert itself. The night was a big highlight, it was just an awesome oppertunity for the Redeemer community and the surrounding community to come out and worship. Besides the main band Starfield, Drew Brown and speaker David Nassar made the night an awesome time. It was awesome to see after the show how nice and friendly these guys were, they helped clean up their own mess, and they were just up for a fun time.

Starfield

When bedtime came around, and Friday came along, I was once again rally excited about the night, this night would be Blue Jays game # 4 for me this season, after the bus was really late, and we did not arrive until the 1st inning had ended, we could finally sit down and relax. The game was not a great one, we lost 7-1, but it was a fun night, and the very expensive fries, were really good!

Blue Jays

Once again, bedtime came around, and when I woke up reall early on saturday, it was time for CrossCulture. If I am notmistaking close to 200 people (students, youth groups, random individuals and others) cam for a day of service and worship. We met early in the morning at Hamilton place, after praying and registration the day started with some worship after which everybody went to about 20 different work sites to serve others. Together with Matt Brandsma and Jessica we went to Little Bethel Baptist Church and to Philpott Memorial Church for SISO. Most of the day we were busy moving stuff around and just offering our hands, oh yeah and this car almost hit us. When I went home in the afternoon I was dead tired after some sleeping, showering and eating. I went to the Ancaster fair with Monika, Jenessa, Julianne, Matt Vanmarum and Rachel we went to the fair for the demo-derby, this was highly succesful, I mean rainy. We went back and played spoons at dorm 31.

CrossCulture


It was time to go to bed once again, sunday morning I went to Fellowship, the service was really good, it is really cool to see the church alive for God. And from 3pm on it was Church in the Box that took most of my attention. Yesterday, was the first service of the year. The theme for the service was, "This is your Life, are you who you wan't to be?" This is the title of a switchfoot song, and God really used Pastor John Vanderstoep to bring across the message. Who do we want to be? The big man on campus, or the guy who ones the BMW and the big wallet (...?) in 25 years. Or do we want to be the one who dwells in the house of the Lord forever (Psalm 27:4). He gave us that challenge. We settle for such little joy nowadays, God is offering us a place in his House, and we too often choose for the little earthly things.

Church in the Box

When all that was done, and after spending some time with friends, Rachel, God, and other people my weekend was done. I went back to bde once again. When I woke up, I realized that school was kicking in again. So, let's get back to work.

God bless, Willem

3 comments:

Sanda said...

Willem!

You probably met my mom and my brother if you went to Little Bethel! That's where she attends.

And I am jealous that you went to the demo derby at the Ancaster Fair! This is the fourth time in my life (I think) that I have missed the Ancaster Fair :( and I don't even have a good excuse this year!

Hope all is well!
Pixel aka Sanda

de Ruijter said...

We had to leave the derby very early, because the rain was crazy, but I got a taste of things

Anonymous said...

Dude, that was a busy, busy weekend -- thanks for all your help at Cross Culture, you rock my world, bro

STeve