a brief excerpt

"If the Church's worship is faithful, it will eventually be subversive of the culture surrounding it, for God's truth transforms the lives of those nurtured by it"

- Marva Dawn

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Honestly

Honestly, I don't know how well I will continue to update this blog, but today I will at least update it. I am halfway done my undergrad, which I guess is a really cool thing. I have enjoyed many of the courses I have taken, but have been even more enriched and challenged by some of the activites outside the classroom. This year, was completely different from anything that I expected it to be. I expected my second year to be first year part II. However, there were new people, new struggles, and new brokeness and beauty.

After first semester I was not doing that great, I struggled a lot with my faith, in the way that I did not care about it that much. I can't do things on my own, I can't...
"you can’t do this alone! you can’t work/grind hard enough to make this happen, to pull this off. this i will do great things through you, but you must walk, stand, run, hide, jump, fly with me. it is all through me. don’t go it alone or you will fall and you will fall hard. it will be violent and bloody (spiritually). please trust my word, i am telling you now."
That is what God told me and some of the people that mean a lot to me at the beginning of this school year. I think it took me a while to listen to that.

It is a slow process growing from brokeness to healing, from insecurity to trust, from earthly to spiritually, from me to God. But, then there are people helpingme people caring for me. People learning to challenge me, and I try to challenge others in the same way.

I was set on working in Barrie this summer, living in Barrie, making the money, living at home... I am happy I am not going to do that, although I would love to spend more time with my mother and some family. I am excited about what God has told me through people around about, community, my summer, God's plans, and something called Youth Works. So, this summer I will be leading mission trips, where I don't know yet, I know it will be in Thunder Bay, Vancouver, or Toronto, but I don't know where. Please pray that God will use me as his servant, that I can influences the teens I will be hanging out with in a Christ-like way. That's it for now.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Willem! I am so happy for you...doing YouthWorks!
I know you're going to be great at it. I pray that you will have an amazing experience, learn, teach, and grow. You'll have to tell me all about it when you get back!
Have a Good one :)

-Anna-

Anonymous said...

Hoi lieve schat, Bedankt voor alles, je bent echt een topper! Heb weer ontzettend van je genoten! Ik hoop dat je deze site toch wel een beetje bij wilt blijven houden, zo blijven we hier in Nederland een beetje op de hoogte! Ik ga zo naar bed, een jetlag is ook niet wat... Als je iets meer weet over je kamp, mail de dan ff? Love you!!!! Kus, Jacq