a brief excerpt

"If the Church's worship is faithful, it will eventually be subversive of the culture surrounding it, for God's truth transforms the lives of those nurtured by it"

- Marva Dawn

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Moving into T-bay

T-what? - T-Bay!

Yes I have arrived in Thunder Bay, actually I have been in Thunder Bay since Friday night (saturday morning) 1:30 am already. So, last week on the monday morning (after Rach called me at about 3:00 am) I went to Toronto, for 5 days of training just north of Denver in Broomfield. The church all the Canadians and the Western region of Youthworks stayed at was awesome. That Monday was exhausting. Between waking up at 2:30 am , 2 hour of time difference, about 6 hours of travelling, and doing our first information sessions. I was exhausted. I wasn't really catching the vision quite yet, but as the week proceded, and I learned more about my role as Urban staff, I got challenged more and more. And even more than being challenged I realized what an amazing privilege it is that God gave me this opportunity to serve with Youthworks this summer. So training was cool there were a bunch of cool Americans out there. And during the poverty simulation we as Canadians didn't have to worry about paying healthcare.

Friday morning we got up early to travel to T-Bay, to most better known as Thunder Bay. After about 14 hours of travelling, 3 flights, starbucks, Quiznos, 3 hour delay, amazing conversations with Jenn, Rachel (from Youthworks), and Shannon. We arrived in Thunder Bay. We packed all the stuff in a cab and slept at the hotel. The next morning we went to the church which I will call home for the rest of the summer, because not only do I attend and serve there, I sleep there as well - Elim Community Christian Centre. The first days we spend a lot of time with the team (Jenn, Steve, Rachel, and Shannon). Having fun and getting a bit familiar with the city of Thunder Bay.

Since Sunday I have been very busy with establishing relationships with my community contacts. As the urban staff, I have to coordinate all the volunteer opportunitites of the youth that come for the mission trips. And so my last two days I have been busy with making appointments for meetings, going to meetings, filling in charts, and trying to work out this logistical bonanza.

It is really cool what God is doing, is has been really hard at times to stay at ease and not be scared by the amount of work that I still need to do. I have been blessed by an amazing team, and in fact, I have already been challenged to change many of the things that I have always considered normal in my life. This experience is changing my life. As Shane Claiborne has put it, I think "Jesus is wrecking my life".

Also, I am reading a childrens biography about D.L. Moody

No comments: